Monday, May 10, 2010

Updated Yoga Pants From Old T-Shirts Tutorial

Updated July 2012. Yoga Pants from Old T-Shirts Tutorial I updated this tutorial to make the pants and waistband fit better. This tutorial is super-easy, fast, and doesn't need many supplies. I hope you enjoy!
Time: 30 minutes – 1 hour Materials: 2 Tshirts, sewing machine, thread, measuring tape Seam Allowance: ¼ inch overedge or zigzag stitch. 1. Measure around the biggest part of your thigh. Mine is about 20 inches. You do not need to be terribly precise because the material is stretchy.
2. Lay your shirt flat. The pattern that is shown on the front of the shirt will end up on the left side of your pants when you are done. It is best to choose a shirt that has nothing on the back, in my opinion, otherwise the pants will look really “busy.” Measure across the shirt from armpit to armpit. You want this measurement to be the same as your thigh measurement, or more. The shirt I am using measures the same—20 inches. So I am going to just cut off each side seam and try to keep it as close to 20 inches as I can. If your shirt is larger than what you need, cut off the same amount from each side to equal your thigh measurement. Be sure when you cut the sides to keep the design on the shirt centered (cut off the same amount from each side).
3. Cut off the sleeves, following the seam. These curves will become your inseam.
4. Cut off the top of the shirt in a straight line.
5. Put on a pair of pants you like. Measure from the crotch to the top of the pants so you know how tall to make your pants. Mine is 9 inches in the front. Measure from the crotch to the back of the pants also. Mine is 11 inches in the back. Subtract 2.5 inches from each of these numbers now. My front measurement is now 6.5 inches, and my back measurement is now 8.5 inches. 6. Measure your shirt from the armpit to the top, along the curve. Mine was only a little more than 4 inches, which is not enough.
Take your measuring tape, and mimic the original curve, making it the length you need, which is the larger of the two measurements from step 5, so for me it is 8.5 inches.
7. Fold your shirt in half and cut the other armpit to the same length. Then lay your shirt back how it was.
8. Find the difference between your two measurements from step 5. Mine is a difference of two inches. Measure that difference from the top on the left side only (so I will measure 2 inches from the top on the left side only). Make a snip.
Then cut a straight line from your snip to the top of the right side of the shirt.
9. Take the two pieces of shirt that you have cut, and put each piece RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER. Sew the seam from the bottom to the armit. *Be sure to use a stretch stitch because you are using a stretch fabric. I used an overedge stitch. You could use a zig zag stitch instead if you don’t have an overedge stitch. If you don’t have a stretch stitch, just use a regular straight stitch and stretch the fabric as you sew. You will also find it much easier to sew if you use a ball point needle. You can find these needles in your sewing store right next to the regular needles. They are made for stretchy material. But if you don’t have one, a regular needle will be ok too.*
10. Turn the printed shirt piece right side out. Put it INSIDE of the other shirt piece. Now the two pieces are RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER. **If you did this correctly, the long measurements from step 5 and the short measurements from step 5 are going to match up.**
Sew along the U-shaped curved edge. Then, sew along the same curve AGAIN, because this is the crotch seam & you don’t want it to rip!!
11. Turn pants right side out and try them on!
The design goes on your left leg. They should fit great, but be too low. Let’s add a waistband so that they’re the correct rise. Before you take your pants off, measure around your waist/hips where the top of the pants are. My measurement is 34 inches. You will need this number in step 13. 12. Get another tshirt for the waist band. Cut the hem off the bottom of the tshirt.
Then cut 6.5 inches off the bottom of the tshirt.
13. Take the number from step 13. Mine was 34 inches. Divide that number by 2. My number is now 17 inches. Subtract 4 inches from that number. My number is now 13 inches. Cut the6.5 inch strip from step 12 into two rectangles, 6.5 inches by your number. For me, I am cutting two rectangles 6.5 inches by 13 inches. 14. Put the two rectangles from step 13 RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER, and sew along each 6.5 inch side.
15. Fold the rectangles in half, WRONG SIDES TOGETHER.
16. Pin waistband to shorts with four pins, matching sides, front, and back. Stretch waistband as you sew. As you see, we made the waistband smaller than the shorts to that we don’t need elastic to hold them up. Easy!
Sew raw edge.
Now your shorts are finished! Wear them as-is, or fold your waistband over for a lower rise look! Enjoy.

28 comments:

  1. I love your tutorials. More please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a awesome repurpose idea! I am featuring it on my blog on 9/23/10 www.sewmanytutorials.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super great...I love these, thanks for sharing! I will def. give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is brillant, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic I can't wait to poke around your blog a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just made these pants, it took 1/2 hour, they are awesome!! simple & awesome!! thank you sooo very much!! more ideas please!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I don't sew much, but I just might have to dust off the machine to make these! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How precise ~ thank you! I might actually have some pants that fit after this. Oh, and old t-shirts ~ check, check and check. Finally a use for them

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great tutorial! I am a beginner at sewing and found these instructions very easy to follow. I added elastic to mine but I didn't know how to secure them inside the waist so they kind of "roll" sometimes. I am definitely going to make another pair :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made these today, thank you so much for your tutorial, I loved it! My only "wait, I don't get it" moment came at the waistband - I wasn't sure if you centered the smaller rectangle onto the larger one before sewing the side seams or if you lined them up on the bottom. I opted for my first thought, and everything turned out great! woo hoo for new comfy pants! (also, time spent was ~2 hrs, I was aiming for only 1 hour, but my toddler was awake and an interruption)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super Cool!

    Alia
    http://aliascreativelife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial! I made yoga pants out of my hubby's t-shirt last year and have been raiding his closet ever since :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are brilliant! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are really cool. Thanks for explaining how to do this. Yours turned out very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. DEFINATELY going to have to try this!! Thank you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! I have never attempted pants for myself. I will definitely have to try this with a cool t-shirt.

    ~JamieS@ Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never seen yoga pants made from a t-shirt. Love it.
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this! I've been making similar pants for my kids but never once considered making some for myself. Duh, me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really funny thing to do, although the waistband took me a little while to "get it"...

    ReplyDelete
  21. We are going to make these with our Young Women group (teens) they will be so excited. Thanks so much!
    Judy M

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a creative idea! I am gonna have to try this! Thanks for sharing your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great work you are very creative person

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just made these last night. I've NEVER sewn anything in my life other than a straight stitch for a pillow or two. lol They came out great I love them! Thanks for the tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just finished a pair of these and they're adorable. I had to keep cutting and adjusting, but not because of your tutorial (which is fabulous), but because I've had my sewing machine for only a few months and had literally never used one before that.
    your instructions were very easy to follow and the pictures are super helpful!
    thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've seen other tutorials for this, but yours is by far the most detailed and easiest to follow. Just made my first pair! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I followed your tutorial and now I have the cosiest pants.
    My boyfriend has a lot of old t-shirts, so this wont be my last pair :)

    ReplyDelete